Rusting up a War Dog

I’m awaiting the HQs for my Nurgle Daemons so I returned to dirtying up my War Dogs (they’re not Renegade Armigers anymore).  I’ve been working on my rust technique and began applying it to a a larger model.  I had one of the War Dogs out for repairs anyway as one of his guns had broken.  A bit of rust would help cover up the fix.

The rust was done with Tyhpus Corrosion and then Ryza Rust dry brushed over the top.  For things like weapons you can then add silver to the edges of the weapons where they would be scraped clean.  For the War Dog I haven’t done that, they’re not going to get scraped, they’re just going to rust.

I did the hull and then I started on one of the guns leaving the other undone.

I sought some opinions and it was suggested that the rust be made patchier.  So I practised first on the stubbed and then on the main gun.

And I think that does look better, more random, more natural perhaps.

And then finally here’s the finished (well possibly, I might return to it) War Dog next to it’s “clean” brother.

All told I’m pretty pleased, I’ll continue working on it.  This is something that I will gradually be doing to the rest of my Death Guard.

Renegade Armigers

My thinking at the moment is that the Death Guard are lacking in long range anti-armour units.  They’re really a close up army, even things like the Plague Burst Crawlers, which seem like back line artillery pieces, seem to work better with the short range weaponry.

So, to mitigate that, I’ve picked up a couple of Armigers.  They have a Mini-Codex in Chapter Approved 2018, so in my head I’m also still sticking to my Mono-Codex army.  Honest.

I’ve given one “battle damage” using the same hot metal file technique as my Land Raider and the other some “Nurgly” looking protruding horns.

I’m still working on my weathering and need to practice “sponging”, I did this before Cadian Shock published his article on the subject.  I’d asked for that article during conversation with him during the time that I was working on these two models.  I’d tried sponging before but just wasn’t happy with the outcome and so painted over it.  The Typhus Corrosion used on the legs of the models was applied with a brush and, I guess, a “stippling” technique.