Plagueburst Crawler

Painting a Plagueburst Crawler with an airbrush

I wrote up an article giving my thoughts about Plagueburst Crawlers a little while ago.  I came to the conclusion that they’re really good units for the Death Guard.  That I didn’t have a third on in my collection was more down to it being an obvious choice, and therefore a bit of a boring decision.  Lockdown changed that.  My build queue was empty and I wanted to buy whatever I could from my local game store to support them a little bit.  So a third Plagueburst Crawler was purchased as it was, other than a Myphitic Blight Hauler, the only Death Guard thing that they had.  However to mix things up a bit I decided from the outset that I would use an airbrush on this one.

Continue reading “Painting a Plagueburst Crawler with an airbrush”

October Rust

While working on my second Contemptor Dreadnought my side project has been to rust up my two Plagueburst Crawlers.  I’m tentatively labelling these as done, but I might well go back and add a bit more rust once I’ve lived with them for a while.

Continue reading “October Rust”

Diamonds and Rust

I’m continuing to return to my already painted models and add rust to them.  This time I worked on my second Rhino, I’d already rusted up the first one.  I wanted to try a slightly different plan for applying the rust, this time I would stick mainly to the edges of the vehicle where it would get bashed and battered.  The other Rhino had patches of rust randomly across the hull.


Continue reading “Diamonds and Rust”

Rust Never Sleeps

I’ve been continuing to work on my rust techniques and applying it to a few other models.

After the Armiger I wanted to try it on another non-vehicle model, something without lots of flat areas basically, so I picked my Helbrute.  The Helbrute was painted a while ago and I’ve never been totally happy with my work on it so I thought that this could help nudge it up on my satisfaction scale.

And I think that that went OK, I’m still not massively happy with him, but I think that I’m happier.  I was still rusting just the metal though, the next thing was to try rusting the painted areas, to simulate patches of rust where the paint has come away.

So I chose one of my Rhinos and went for it in stages with gaps in between to asses how I felt it was going.

When I worked on the right side and top of the Rhino I think that I went too far, so the left side was toned back a bit.  The Typhus Corrosion on the left side was also applied thicker and less stippled, the rust looks much darker here.

Finally I went for Typhus, just the metal though and not his armour.  Typhus is odd in that the edging of his armour is silver and not gold, this was something that I took from the painted example on GW’s web site.  So I rusted that edging as well.


And I think that’s pretty good, not perfect, but it works on the table.

My lessons from this are:

  1. Go slowly, you can always add more rust if you want, it’ll be hard to remove it due to the textured Typhus Corrosion paint.
  2. On the green surfaces it looks good if there’s some overlap of the Ryza Rust onto the green, look at the back door of the Rhino for that.  It seems to look like the rust has stained surrounded surfaces but it hasn’t fully corroded yet.
  3. It’s hard to find real life example of how rusty the Death Guard might look.  Most things that are in use will scratch and wear in certain areas, but the Death Guard corrode things that they touch.  So, to me, their equipment will have more rust than most in use equipment would.

Rusting up a War Dog

I’m awaiting the HQs for my Nurgle Daemons so I returned to dirtying up my War Dogs (they’re not Renegade Armigers anymore).  I’ve been working on my rust technique and began applying it to a a larger model.  I had one of the War Dogs out for repairs anyway as one of his guns had broken.  A bit of rust would help cover up the fix.

The rust was done with Tyhpus Corrosion and then Ryza Rust dry brushed over the top.  For things like weapons you can then add silver to the edges of the weapons where they would be scraped clean.  For the War Dog I haven’t done that, they’re not going to get scraped, they’re just going to rust.

I did the hull and then I started on one of the guns leaving the other undone.

I sought some opinions and it was suggested that the rust be made patchier.  So I practised first on the stubbed and then on the main gun.

And I think that does look better, more random, more natural perhaps.

And then finally here’s the finished (well possibly, I might return to it) War Dog next to it’s “clean” brother.

All told I’m pretty pleased, I’ll continue working on it.  This is something that I will gradually be doing to the rest of my Death Guard.