Contemptor Dreadnought

I’ve written before that I think that my Death Guard army has a problem with a lack of long range anti-armour weapons capable of dealing with things like Knights or Tanks.  My recent diversion into Nurgle Daemons has been more about fun and fluff rather than an attempt to address those issues.  But, the time had come, I needed to get my stuff together.  The answer that wanted to try was a Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought from Forge World.  The Contemptor seemed to be the thing to try for two reasons.  Firstly following an FAQ update it can take two twin lascannons and Forge World also make a nice Death Guard specific model.  This would be my first Forge World model and only my second every resin model.

The Dreadnought came without instructions and it was just an awful lot of separate parts that give you an awful lot of flexibility when it comes to posing, but with very little of the helpful pegs that GW’s plastic models seem to have.  So I spent a fair while striking manly poses in my study and paying attention to my hips and other joints while I worked out how I wanted to pose it.  Eventually I went for one leg being bent and forward while the other was straightened and bracing it from behind as if it were getting ready for a shot.  Actually making that pose was a bit harder than I thought as even though I’d practised it with blue tack holding the model together I had to cut some of the side of the upper torso away so that I could twist it as much as I wanted.  I also decided that I wanted to magnetise the weapons and had issues getting the magnets.  So the arms would be assembled and painted later.

I was also giving a lot of though as to whether I wanted it to have the old pre-Heresy era Death Guard white colour scheme or the 40k era green one that my Death Guard are painted up in.  If you look around the net most models have the former, and it does look good, and would have been a new challenge.  But, in the end, I went for conformity.  I wanted this to visually click into the rest of my Death Guard army, so green it would be.  Once painted I then started rusting it.  I worked from the feet up and took it very carefully so as not to over do it.

Then it was on to the weapons.  I had bought some 3mm x 1mm metal magnets and used two of them in each shoulder and two in each weapon.  I drilled a hole into both pieces and it all seemed easy enough but I was incredibly careful.

Painting the weapons was then pretty easy.  I attached the shoulders making sure that they weapons under each one would fit.  I made sure that there was plenty of clearance as I might buy other weapons and I didn’t know how much room they would need.  This means that the shoulders are about as far up as they can go.  This meant that the ball joint for the shoulder had some visible unpainted or just primed parts on it.  A quick touch up with some Typhus Corrosion fixed that.  And there we go, it’s complete, or near enough.  I might add some more rust to it, but we’ll see.

All told I’m pretty happy with it 🙂

6 thoughts on “Contemptor Dreadnought

  1. Pingback: Nurgle vs. Space Marines (1,750 points) – Battle Report – Plague Gardening

  2. Pingback: Nurgle vs. Space Marines (1,000 points) – Battle Report – Plague Gardening

  3. Pingback: Death Guard vs Astra Militarum & Raven Guard (1,750 pts) – Battle Report – Plague Gardening

  4. Pingback: 800 Days of 8th – Plague Gardening

  5. Pingback: 2019 in Review – Plague Gardening

  6. Pingback: Necrosius the Undying – Plague Gardening

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s